maaliskuu 29, 2024, 09:28:55 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Overwinter plants vs new plants- productivity

Aloittaja scion, lokakuu 22, 2013, 00:47:30 ap

« edellinen - seuraava »

scion

Hi

I am the only one posting questions here, because I love this site  :)

This season my plants yielded a lot of beautiful pods. Scropion Moruga Blend yellow, Fatali Yellow and Rocoto De Seda yellow are the best plants. Blue Mystery, Tepin, C.chacoense and pequin are also yield very well. I have grown them as a hobby gardener. Still now I have a lot of unripe pods, really I feel lucky to see my plants  :)

For the next season I have not sow any seeds yet. I have been doing some kinds of overwinter such as trimmed the branches without re-potting. I have read overwinter plants have not yield a lot of pods like a new plants. So it makes me worry for the next season.

My question, request for your answer is " how much it could be different yield between an overwinter plant and a new plant?"

Thanks in advance.

Scion

akselsson1

At least overwintered plants start making pods much earlier because they dont need to focus on growing itself so much. I think overwintered plants will give as good yield as new ones, but some say new plants produce better. I recommend you have both, old an new plants and find out yourself :)
Chilihulluutta jo vuodesta 2011

scion

Hi Akselsson1,
Thank you for the reply. I'll sow a few seeds from my harvested pods for the experiment. I have grown many different varieties so the seeds are going to be crossed but I would like to see what it'd look like  :)

Scion

akselsson1

Lainaus käyttäjältä: scion - lokakuu 22, 2013, 11:21:38 ap
Hi Akselsson1,
Thank you for the reply. I'll sow a few seeds from my harvested pods for the experiment. I have grown many different varieties so the seeds are going to be crossed but I would like to see what it'd look like  :)

Scion

Have you grown them in- or outdoors? They usually wont cross too much if theres no bees related. But of course SOME will/can be crossed. Still, its interesting to see what will grow from those seeds :)
Chilihulluutta jo vuodesta 2011

scion

They were outdoors and insects have done very well pollination.

I have a very nice plant it supposed to be 7Pod Brain Strain Red but the fruits were so many different shapes and sizes. Some of them really looked like Scorpion with tails, some looked like ghost, some looked like Devil Tongue and many different pods in one plant. It produced a lot of pods and very hot.

Yesterday I sowed 6 seeds of Scorpion Moruga Blend Yellow and 6 seeds of the 7Pod Brain Strain I mentioned.

I have read somewhere capsicum pubescens are not crossed with other chinense, fruitsense, annumm but I am not sure.

I'll upload the pictures of these plants here, I am also really interested to see the pods from these plants.

Thank you for the question.

Scion

Toby

If you want to make sure your plants survive over winter, you'd better check a few things.

1. Fertilization. The plants are getting ready for long, cold and dark winter. To make sure they realize that it's time to settle down and slower growing, one should cut down fertilization. If plants are still being fertilized, they'll try to keep growing taller and larger which is not a good thing during the darkest time of the year.

2. Lights. Winter has a strange habit of being the darkest one of our four seasons (at least in northern side of the Earth). So it is highly recommended to have enough light to make sure the plants survive. Powerful lamps and/or UV-lamps are great (according to stories I've heard).

3. The size of the pots. To give your plants the best chances to survive, put the plants into smaller ones. This gives the roots just a tight space. When the roots don't have any spare room, they won't grow too much. When the roots stay small, the plant won't grow too large. (This tip is very efficient but in my opinion it's not necessary. But if you're into hi-fi and that kind of stuff... well then this just might be your thing.)
Hoidan & kasvatan chiliä apinan raivolla.

scion

Hi Tobby,

Thank you for the advice. Still I have many unripe pods so I have pruned very little. They are getting ripe may be the next month most of them will be ripe then I will prune again.

Now I reduced the amount of water and fertilizer feeding.

Scion

cix

How did it work out for You with the overwintering? I tried it too and it feels like the growth was slower this year. But I don't know, I almost killed the plants in the winter due to small artificial light. And they didn't like the new soil they got in April. I think I gave them too much water when I transplanted them. Actually started to grow normally again last week. Hope to have a long hot and sunny autumn :).

Toby

^ If there's not enough light you should cut most of the leaves off. Then the plant's needs decrease.
Hoidan & kasvatan chiliä apinan raivolla.