maaliskuu 28, 2024, 14:17:08 ip

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Some Pimenta da Neyde Hybrids

Aloittaja MelT, helmikuu 11, 2011, 02:10:54 ap

« edellinen - seuraava »

MelT

helmikuu 11, 2011, 02:10:54 ap Viimeisin muokkaus: helmikuu 11, 2011, 04:19:32 ap käyttäjältä MelT
Two of the hybrids I made in 2009 and grew in 2010 were "Trinidad Scorpion" X "Pimenta da Neyde" and
"Duke Pequin" X "Pimenta da Neyde". 

A third probable "PDN" hybrid appeared as a single purplish seedling among a group of "Goronong"/"Caronong" seedlings. 
I'm now confident that this plant is a spontaneous "Goronong" X "Pimenta da Neyde" hybrid.

All three hybrid combinations had "Pimenta da Neyde" as the pollen parent only.  No crosses with "PDN" as the seed
parent were tried.

The purple pigmentation of PDN was visible early in the F1 hybrid seedlings. All had pigmented hypocotyls similar to
those of PDN seedlings, and later some pigmentation of the stems and leaves.   

"Duke Pequin" X PDN leaves did show some dark color, but the stems and veins were more uniformly dark than the
the leaf blades. Young "Duke Pequin" X PDN plant:

Foliage:

Later, the unripe fruits were also more prominently dark than the foliage.  Flowers and fruits were erect, like
Duke Pequin and unlike PDN:

Fruits ripen red.  Like other Duke Pequin hybrids they softened when ripe and were often attacked by birds:

Comparison showing intermediate size of hybrid between "Duke Pequin" on left and "Pimenta da Neyde" on the
right. Hybrid fruits change from dark to greenish to orange to red during ripening:

Foliage of "Trinidad Scorpion" X "Pimenta da Neyde" plants tended to be more uniformly dark than
"Duke Pequin" X "Pimenta da Neyde", and some were about as dark as "Pimenta da Neyde" itself.
A young hybrid plant:

Older plant with flowers:

More foliage:

It's remarkable that these dark plants only had "Pimenta da Neyde" as their pollen parent.

Unripe fruit:

Plant with ripening older fruits turning red:

Fruit comparison, including one unripe hybrid fruit and one "Pimenta da Neyde" fruit on the right. 

"Goronong" x "Pimenta da Neyde" [the unplanned volunteer hybrid]
Foliage:

The plant seemed prolific. Unripe fruit:

Its fruits ripened to a nice orange-red:

Fruit comparison, with two "Goronong" on the left, two PDN on the right

All three hybrid fruits were too fleshy to dry well.

Surprisingly, although I was a bit afraid of them at first the Trinidad Scorpion X PDN hybrids didn't seem unusually pungent
for C. chinense, and they were as usable as any hot chili in cooking. On the other hand, I was startled by the heat of the
Duke Pequin X PDN, which may be hotter than both parents.  [A few of them finely chopped and mixed into a dish of food were
too many for me.]

I thought that the Goronong X PDN fruits were an excellent aromatic hot C. chinense, and felt that it would be worth
repeating the original cross just to keep F1 plants on hand. It might also be worthwhile to inbreed the hybrids for several
generations to select for stabilized offspring similar to the F1.

I expect the F2 generation  of all three will produce some green offspring [1 out of every 4] without any PDN pigmentation,
and a similar number with a double dose of the PDN purple trait. Perhaps those will be more uniformly dark and may have fruit
that will not change color.

Last season I also produced new Trinidad Congo X PDN and 7Pot X PDN hybrid seeds to test in the coming season.

In summary, Pimenta da Neyde crosses with other chilis give interestingly pigmented hybrids even in the first hybrid
generation. Others might like to experiment further, hybridizing it with other varieties. 

lee

http://www.WildChilli.EU/picture-gallery
Don't play with fire, but play with Wild Chilli's