huhtikuu 16, 2024, 08:15:20 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Hydroponics questions

Aloittaja thamnophis, maaliskuu 08, 2006, 18:56:31 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

thamnophis

I just found this sight and am impressed! Great info, great photos, amazing peppers. I'm new to any sort of gardening - I grew a few peppers last year and got hooked. I'm trying all sorts of things this year - probably over-doing it :-)

I'm curious about the cutting board hydroponics and have a few questions:

1.) Are (or can) the seeds (be) started in the rockwool and then the whole block of rockwool set into the plastic pots, expanded clay added then placed in the cutting board set up? How do the small seedlings get transferred to the cutting board set up?

2.) When transffering seedlings to the cutting board is the water level adjusted to cover the plant's roots? Or is the humidity high enough inside to allow the roots to grow in the air above the water?

3.) Does anyone know of aa cutting board type set up available in the US? - It seems one could make one out of the big, cheap rubbermaid containers if need be?

Thanks -

Joe

ilmr

1 & 2: Fatalii's new hydroponics section - http://juuri.org/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=62
3: I'd try your local hemp forum for an answer to that one. :-)
[/url]

Omskakas

I heard that some substances that might be poisonous can dissolve from Rubbermaid boxes to growing solution. I don't recommend using those in hydroponics.

thamnophis

I read through the very good info on hydro here and other web sites. I'm still not clear on one thing - how high the waterlevel should be in a cutting board type of set up.

Are the pots submerged (partially or totally) or is there supposed to be airspace between the bottom of the pots and the water? If there is supposed to be airspaace, how much? I can tell that eventually the roots grow out into the water.

Thanks,

Joe

TheBigX

Do you intend to grow peppers in a cutting board? I'm just asking because the plants don't get much space if you intend to do more than just grow cuttings or seedlings there and transfer them to a bigger system later on. The cutting board works nicely for herbs or other small plants.

thamnophis

I plan to use a 10 gallon aquarium with a couple bubble wands in it. My plan was to start the seeds in rockwool then move them to 4 inch net baskets with expanded clay and place them in holes cut in an inch thick piece of styrofoam that fits snug on top of the aquarium.

I hoped to be able to squeeze 3-4 plants onto this contraption. Its more of an experiment than anything. I'll be planting more of the same types in containers at the same time to see how they compare in growth, numbers of fruit and taste.

I'm just not sure if the water in the aquarium should be at the top or if I should leave an air space between the bottom of the pots and the water!

TheBigX

I see... The roots should be in contact with the water. As long as the water has enough dissolved oxygen, it doesn't matter if the roots are submerged at all times.

thamnophis

I'm looking at the great "home-made" hydro solutions just posted to this forum. The one labelled "Fatalii's Simple Bucket Hydro" has a diagram that shows a big airspace between the pots and the water.

Assuming the air space is the way to go, rather than total submersion of pots and roots I have a question or 3. When you first transplant the seedling from the tray to the bucket hydro is the water level high enough to submerge the bottom of the pot? Or half way up the pot?

As the roots grow, do you lower the water level so just the bottom of the roots are submerged?

This seems like an important factor in hydroponics buut I don't see it addressed. Maybe its so obvious I'm the only one missing it :-)

Joe

JyriT

Lainaus käyttäjältä: "thamnophis"When you first transplant the seedling from the tray to the bucket hydro is the water level high enough to submerge the bottom of the pot? Or half way up the pot?

As the roots grow, do you lower the water level so just the bottom of the roots are submerged?

Hello,

I raise waterlevel so high that pot is fairly submerged -> that gives some tolerance to waterlevel changes before next waterchange. Forexample, my Lemondorp (1 meter high ½ meter wide) drinks about 1-3 litres water in week and that plant grows in my living room not in greenhouse :).
So far I haven't seen any difference between fully submerged roots and patrially submerged roots.

Hope this helps.

Br.
Jyri
Nyt mä syön noi kaikki värilliset nakit pois, enkä huuda yhtään..
** AnonyymitChilinHydroKasvattajat **

thamnophis

Thanks,

So I assume towards the end of the week the water levels have dropped below the pot level?

I've heard that plants grow 2 different types of roots depending on whether they are under water or not.

Joe

Makee

Lainaus käyttäjältä: "thamnophis"Thanks,

So I assume towards the end of the week the water levels have dropped below the pot level?

I've heard that plants grow 2 different types of roots depending on whether they are under water or not.

Joe

Yeah. There are normal roots and there are also "air roots". If you have a high moistured air, then roots that come out of the mold (of what ever you are using to grow the plant) usually grow these air roots.
Take a look at that picture and you get the idea.  http://www.edu.stadia.fi/~0304064/siemen.jpg

thamnophis

Thank you.

I'm setting this up in an aquarium and I would like to put a rather snug lid on so the air below stays near 100% humidity. I wondered if under these conditions the air roots might be beneficial.

Joe

Jibby

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would add my technique for future reference.

:arrow:  I've had good success planting seeds in soil, then washing off soil when seedling is about 2 or 3 inches tall...then planting in clayrocks in 6 inch netpots.  I fill nutrient buckets to about an inch below the pots for starters... this seems to make the roots grow faster, as they have to reach down to dip into the nutrient solution.

Then when roots reach through netpots and into the solution, next nute change I raise level to just touching bottom of netpots, so those roots are now submerged in the bubbling nutrients... then its blast off time!

Just trying rockwool starters first time now(trying to get totally away from soil), so this will be new experience for me too, but I hope this helps someone anyway.

Jibby

Tsilimiäs

Good info here, thank ya´ll.  :D

I´ve been wondering about this water level thingy and just joined the club today because of my doubts about the level. A total newbie in hydro , I am.

Viva La Google, I ended back in this board, in this very topic.

I´ll keep it lower at first for the seedlings now. No need to submerge them I guess.