maaliskuu 29, 2024, 08:16:43 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

When do you start fertilizing seedlings?

Aloittaja ironmonkey, maaliskuu 09, 2010, 19:22:12 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

ironmonkey

When do you start fertilizing your seedlings? Mine are about 1.5 months old, and I'm giving them their first dose of half strength fertilizer. I wanted to see what other people usually do.

jeQQ

Almost immediately after germination, especially if there is enough light(I use HPS..) :)

Kilp

Usually when second pair of leaves grow big enough for cutting.

PS: Im on my first season though, so not much experience under belt yet.

ironmonkey

Lainaus käyttäjältä: jeQQ - maaliskuu 10, 2010, 15:32:02 ip
Almost immediately after germination, especially if there is enough light(I use HPS..) :)

Do you feed them full strength at first, or do you do less? something like half strength?

ironmonkey

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Kilp - maaliskuu 10, 2010, 18:19:03 ip
Usually when second pair of leaves grow big enough for cutting.

PS: Im on my first season though, so not much experience under belt yet.

What do you mean "big enough for cutting" ?

Kilp

Big enough that theres enough stem between first and second pair of leaves for nice cut. Actual size of the plant will vary cause some tend to grow taller before second leaves and some - like chinenses - are really bushy by nature. Eitherway that rule of the thumb has worked nicely so far and my chinenses, baccas and pubes are doing fine. I will use it for annuums also when they are ready for the cut.

For reference, heres picture of Habanero Orange in 5x5cm pot right after the cut, and heres pic of the same plant from last week. Im not using any "pro" lights, only 2x18W fluorescent tube and 3x30W CFL's spreaded over multiple plants.

ironmonkey

So you cut the stem before the third set of leaves arrive? I'm guessing it makes the plant bushier? Sorry if I sound so dumb, I'm just trying to figure it all out. Most of my plants have their 3rd and 4th sets of leaves, but their growth seems to have slowed down. Should I cut 'em, or just leave 'em?

Kilp

First leaves are called "seed leafs" (these are the ones that are initially stored inside the seed, thus the name) after that you have first real pair of leafs. Its the second pair of real leafs I cut off. So if you count every pair of leaves thats between 2nd and 3rd pair. And yeah, cutting the stem will stimulate plant to grow new branches thus making the plant bushier in long run.

When ever you should cut the stem and where is matter of opinion. Dont think there is any "best way", also in nature plants grow just fine without anyone cutting em. I suggest that if you have more than one plant of some type, explore cutting with one and you can compare how how they grow.

Standbyandfire

Usually when they get a few true leafs going. I use some worm casting compost tea that I make and as they get bigger I rotate feedings with fish meal and Bat guano. I try not to do two much, don't want to fert. burn them. Feed about every two weeks. :)
I'm telling you, I boil the best toast.

akselsson1

I start fertilizing when the seedlings have gown their 2-3 sets of leaves, and start with a milder mix of fertilizer. Now as they are about one and a half months and well grown I give them full amount, going fine :)
You must remember that the soil also has nutrients and they are well enough for a few weeks
Chilihulluutta jo vuodesta 2011