huhtikuu 18, 2024, 09:34:04 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Black Pearl Seeds Getting Black

Aloittaja scion, helmikuu 06, 2013, 16:31:56 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

scion

Hi,

Usually I use paper towel and zip lock bag method for germination of chili seeds. I used tap water to moisten the paper towel and keep them warm.

I sowed the seeds Aji Amarillo, Black Pearl, Habanero Tree, Snow White, Cumari and 7 Pot Brain Strain on 1st February 2013. Aji Amarillo started germination but the Black Pearl seeds are getting bluish/black color. I never ever have such type of experience before. So I am looking for a clue here. This is my first time grow Black Pearl.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Scion

-V-

Looks like it's on the surface of the seed, so mold would be my guess. Been having same kind of problems this year, right now my paper towel is completely black, but the few seeds remaining there are still germinating. I used a mild solution of hydrogen peroxide to kill the the mold, but the effects lasted approximately for a day. It might work better in a ziplock, I had the towel "in the open" so mold spores, which by that time were everywhere, had an easy way back.

scion

Hi -V-,

I am not sure about this color is fungus or mold. I am not yet contact the seed seller, they might know about this color. Some seed sellers use chemical to prevent fungus and mold for their seeds.

I have been using this method many times and I never have such type of discoloration of the seeds. I will change a new paper towel and wait for a few days. If they are not germinated I'll contact the seller.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Scion

-V-

Lainaus käyttäjältä: scion - helmikuu 06, 2013, 19:28:00 ip
I am not sure about this color is fungus or mold. I am not yet contact the seed seller, they might know about this color. Some seed sellers use chemical to prevent fungus and mold for their seeds.

Chemically treated seeds are usually distinctively coloured, like these http://chilifoorumi.fi/index.php?topic=12762.msg230568#msg230568

Lainaus
I have been using this method many times and I never have such type of discoloration of the seeds. I will change a new paper towel and wait for a few days. If they are not germinated I'll contact the seller.

I haven't had much problems with mold before and don't know why it attacked almost every germination batch this season. Anyway, they still germinated fine.

scion

Hi -V-,

Thank you for the link. The seeds are normal color so it may not be treated chemically.

I have not changed the paper towel instead I just sowed another batch, I soaked the seeds in chamomile tea until they were sunk. I was told to use hydrogen peroxide but here 100% pure hydrogen peroxide is not available. This time probably I may know the reason of the discoloration.

Sorry to know that you had mold problems but you were lucky because your seeds were germinated. I have no idea why you got mold attack. I would clean the place if it happened most of the batch, use another new role of paper towel and keep the place a bit airy.  How are the health of your seedlings?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Scion

-V-

Lainaus käyttäjältä: scion - helmikuu 06, 2013, 21:36:52 ip
I have not changed the paper towel instead I just sowed another batch, I soaked the seeds in chamomile tea until they were sunk.

Oh yes, the chamomile tea, I had completely forgotten about that. Few year ago I had a bag of peat based substrate go moldy on me and just used it until I got a new bag. Watered it with strong chamomile tea and had no problems with mold. IIRC I also tried it for soaking seeds and they germinated fine. I believe the effects of chamomile tea last longer than those of hydrogen peroxide.

Lainaus
I was told to use hydrogen peroxide but here 100% pure hydrogen peroxide is not available.

100% insn't needed (actually I wouldn't want 100% peroxide anywhere near me), what I have is 9% and I diluted further down to 0,05%. Of course if there's anything else than water added it might not be good for plants.

Lainaus
Sorry to know that you had mold problems but you were lucky because your seeds were germinated. I have no idea why you got mold attack. I would clean the place if it happened most of the batch, use another new role of paper towel and keep the place a bit airy.  How are the health of your seedlings?

Seedlings are doing fine, first ones are even flowering at the age of a litte over two moths. So far, so good.

scion

Hi -V-,

It's nice to know your seedlings are OK.

The hydrogen peroxide available to our pharmacies are " hydrogen peroxide + brintoverilte+ phenacitin" the last two chemicals are unknown to me so I was hesitated to use it.

Regards,

Scion

scion

Updates:

Hi -V-,

You gave me the hope, thank you.

One of the Back Pearl Seeds is germinated.

In the future I do not throw any discolored seeds immediately when I found them. Is it a mystery of the black pearl  ::) I will try to find out the reason of this discoloration. Any idea and opinion will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Scion

scion

Updates:

The germinated one has gone and the rest of the discolored seeds are not germinating and the new batch seeds soaked in chamomile tea are germinating.

Regards,

Scion

scion

scion

maaliskuu 20, 2013, 12:57:17 ip #10 Viimeisin muokkaus: maaliskuu 20, 2013, 17:58:15 ip käyttäjältä scion
Hi -V-,

Thank you for the advice and I am really sorry I was so ignorant about hydrogen peroxide.

You are absolutely right ,

"100% insn't needed (actually I wouldn't want 100% peroxide anywhere near me), what I have is 9% and I diluted further down to 0,05%. Of course if there's anything else than water added it might not be good for plants."

I thought 100% hydrogen peroxide is available but I was wrong. Only today I found that normally people use for gardening 3% and 35% that mixed with water as you mentioned. The 3% and 35% are available here.

I use bamboo skews to monitor the bottom soil moisture level and some of the skews have grown fungus. So I have bought 3% hydrogen peroxide and mixed with water and sprayed to my plants. 

I follow the instruction of this link
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

My Black Pearl is getting bigger  ;D now

I just watered so the soil is wet.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Scion