huhtikuu 18, 2024, 18:45:49 ip

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Rockwool strangling plants?

Aloittaja thamnophis, toukokuu 03, 2006, 21:23:34 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

thamnophis

I want to thaank everyone here (again) for all the help!

I have some plants growing in a hydro set-up. I started the seeds in 1.5 inch rockwool cubes. The tomato is growing faster than the pepper - the tomato stem at it's base is now pushing against the inside of the hole in the cube. It appears that the rockwool is strangling the plant - as it warms up during the day the plant starts to wilt, then seems to recover as it cools in the evening (indoors, but sitting in the sun).

Is it possible or likely that the rockwool is constricting the plant stem or will the plant eventually push the whole wider?

Joe

Nuthead

Don't think that should be possible. The "problem" is propably that the plant is loosing lots ov fluids during the hot day and recovers when the temp gets down. It's a fenomenon that I have got used to with my chiles in the greenhouse.  As long as it recovers everything should be ok. If it doesn't get up anymore you could try to lower the temp during days with fans or somekind of ventilation system!

Kaj
-pähkinäpää-

thamnophis

I thought it might be that but the plant is indoors (in my office) where the temps are at 70F.

It started after I switched out the water. Wonder if the chlorine or too much fertilizer could cause this? The other (smaller plants in the same solution don't seem to be suffering at all.

Curious.

Joe