huhtikuu 18, 2024, 08:13:24 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Container soil and seedling soil in Finland

Aloittaja scion, maaliskuu 20, 2013, 13:52:28 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

scion

Hi everyone,

The climatic condition of Finland and Denmark are almost same I guess. 27F in Finland, Helsinki and here 30F today so closed :). So I would like to get some help for container soil recipe. Now the soil I use is pine bark based I learned it from USA based enthusiasts but the climatic condition between the USA and Denmark is a lot different. One of the enthusiasts advised me to get help from here the fatali.net forum because we are in EU and the climatic condition are almost same. I think it was a good advice.

Please give me some link or advice about your soil preparation for containers. Recently I used 3 parts pine bark fine and 1 part sphagnum and 1 part perlite as seedling soil just for experiment. The result is not yet known.

Before I used only the potting soil bags  from the supermarkets, nothing mixed and modified. I think it was sphagnum, peat moss and compost.

This season we got some new potting soils from Germany:

Sincerely I am requesting your help and advice for container soil mix and seedling soil.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Scion

Siku

maaliskuu 20, 2013, 18:42:26 ip #1 Viimeisin muokkaus: maaliskuu 20, 2013, 18:44:45 ip käyttäjältä Siku
Perhaps the most popular substrate amongst Finnish growers is peat, which suits great for the whole lifecycle of a chilliplant. It has great absorpiton capacity, it naturally stabilizes PH around 6 and most importantly it's very fluffy and thus won't compress as soil does. Some growers like to mix it with perlite, but with good quality peat it's not necessary.

"Professional" peat can be easily found on agricultural markets and in Finland the price is around 20€ for 300+ liters.

scion

Hi Siku,

Thank you for your reply.

Euro 20 for 300 + liters is very reasonable price.

I am just a hobby beginner container gardener and very curious about the potting soil and fertilizers. I have many supper hot chili seedlings and would like to experience with different potting soils and it's result.

Regards,

Scion