huhtikuu 16, 2024, 07:44:28 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

bonchis for sale?

Aloittaja MartR, maaliskuu 18, 2012, 10:57:23 ap

« edellinen - seuraava »

MartR

Hi

Chilli bonchis look absolutely amazing, especially when they produce flowers or fruit on them.
Can I buy these from anywhere? Can't wait until the end of the season  :)

I will be trying to create some of my own aswell, but after this season.

Thanks for your help!
Mart

tellie

It would probably help if you told us where you live :)

I think I have seen pictures from various chili festivals where they sell plants, maybe some bonchis too. Other than that, I have no clue. I'd assume it is very difficult to find bonchis on sale from a shop or so. Someone interested in chile peppers might sell or give you a bonci but few can grow them as gorgeous as as Fatalii does :)

Edymnion

Its difficult enough to find regular bonsai for sale, I wouldn't expect anyone to carry bonchi on a regular basis.  I wouldn't expect to see them anywhere, actually, its pretty niche.  You might find someone selling some at a pepper festival, but for now its pretty much you have to make your own.

MartR

ok no hurry  :)

I'll just try the grow them on my own then  :D

MartR

ok I've done some research about bonchis on there is one thing I still don't understand. I know that bonchis need a lot of light to get them started, but how much light do they need after? I mean if it's ´ready´ - does it still need artificial light to survive or can I have them at home as normal house plants?

Thanks for your help..

tellie

^ Much of that depend on where you live and where you can place the plant. If you live some place where there is much sunlight, and if you can put your plants in a place where they can benefit from the natural light well enough, I see no problem. Sunlight works surprisingly well even in small amounts... If you have enough sun, you may not need artificial light at all.

How much light is enough light, that is a more difficult question to answer. I have never cut down a plant before summer so I have little actual experience on this. It depends on the variety, too. When it comes to keeping plants alive over the winter without artificial light, personally I have had best luck with baccatums... But I can tell you, after a couple of months the plants have been very far from beautiful bonchis!

Not that my bonchis were that pretty from the beginning, but little light certainly didn't help. Some of the plants dropped much of their leaves during the darkest months. Some died. Some grew long, droopy-looking sprouts/branch/something I didn't dare to cut because at least these plants were alive. This was in Finland, and in an room that had only one window. Obviously things are way different in, say, a Malaysian home with big windows :)

MartR

hi tellie

I'm from Estonia, so the climate is pretty much the same here as in Finland  :)

I'm going to have about 60-70 chilli plants this year, including same baccatums and I guess I'll try my best to make some bonchis from a few.

Thanks for your help