toukokuu 14, 2024, 04:33:35 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Moving plant from Hydro to Soil

Aloittaja registration, elokuu 16, 2012, 15:51:37 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

registration

Hi,

About one week ago I moved one of my chilis from hydro to normal soil, because it became too large for my hydro system.
Since then, I need to keep the soil really really wet, otherwise the leaves are all hanging. Whenever the leaves are hanging I have to give it a lot of water (so that the water runs out at the bottom). I need to do this twice a day.

The plant is outside at around 25-32 degrees during the day and 17-20 degrees at night.
My other chili plants which have always been in soil don't need much water at all.

Also the leaves feel very thin and soft since I moved the plant.

Can plants that have always been in a hydro system not get used to soil ?
Does anyone else have experience with moving chilis from hydro to water or solutions on how to 'fix' my chili ?

Thanks in advance.

registration

Looks like the problem was too much  direct sunlight.
I moved the plant into a shadow location and I didn't need any water at all.
Plant looks great again :)

exa

The dramatic change in the growing medium (hydro to soil) may have been one factor. Since the plant has previously grown in water it has developed roots to fit those conditions. Soil provides challenge for the roots as they have to be more efficient in order to gain enough water and nutrients. I think the plants just have to get used to new circumstances. A week or two in moderate sunlight should do the trick.

Klikkaa kuvaa ja lue kasvatuksistani!

registration

Ok, thanks.

I'll try that.

It's been in the shade for a couple of days now and it looks good.

I'll report here in about 2 weeks again.

tellie

I have never chanced a plant from a hydro to soil but when some of my plants is having trouble with its roots, I often vut the plant down or remove leafs and the plant recovers.

The idea is the same than with keeping the plant in shade. Water evaporates from leafs, and naturally much leaves means much evaporation. Roots may not be able to take enough water in to -> hanging leafs.

Less sunlight and/or less leaves = less evaporation = roots can keep up better :)

Try not to keep the soil too wet. Too much water can cause all kind of trouble in the roots, and the condition of the plant may get worse, not better.