tammikuu 27, 2020, 19:04:20 ip

Uutiset:

Tervehdys, kaksi samaan aikaan sattunutta teknistä muutosta / ongelmaa summa aiheutti vajaan viikon katkon foorumille. Nyt palvelinohjelmisto on jouduttu päivittämään uuteen ja sekä ulkoasu että toiminnallisuus on muuttunut. Toivotttavasti ei ainakaan kovin paljoa huonompaan suuntaan. Odottamattomia ongelmiakin saattaa ilmaantua.

Question: Bonchi in the windowsill

Aloittaja Wotan, kesäkuu 09, 2011, 13:35:28 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

Wotan

I have been really interested in growing a bonchi. The idea of combining something tasty and something pretty really appeals to me. However I have a few questions that I hope the chili experts can answer.

- Is it possible to grow a decent bonchi on the windowsill without adding artificial light? I live in Denmark and the windowsill is facing south east. Having a bulb on 16 hours a day is expensive and not a pretty thing to have in a living room (I think my girlfriend would kill me if I installed a LED grow light ;D).

- When there is no artificial light to help growth, can I start my bonchi project now or would I have to wait planting the seeds until next season?

- What cultivars would you recommend. I would like to fuse a few different cultivars together by braiding. Ideally I would like both mild and hot cultivars that taste good, looks pretty as bonchi and who are hard to kill.

I hope you can help me with my questions.

Mayloa

Hi and welcome to the world of growing :)

If i were you i would chill for this season, do some more research on the different species, finding the seeds that matches your needs etc. Then start the seeds off early next year (Jan/Feb/Mar or so[Some swear to putting seeds down already in Nov/Dec though]) The plants grow nicely in a sunny windowsill in Denmark without extra lighting (That's how i grow them) And by the end of next years season you'll cut it down and start working it into bonchi.

I've done little reading about fusing, i hear it is supposed to be hard to pull off though. But that just makes it even more interesting, right? =)

As with varieties, Probably something with small pods. It all comes down to personal preference though.

To sum up; You should try it, you'll see that it is a great journey and you will learn by doing.

Try looking for "Den lille stærke om chili" which is a danish book about chilies by Lene tvedegaard @ your local library. It has some good info, might help =)
Also if you haven't already, you should check out the articles @ Fatalii's growing guide