maaliskuu 29, 2024, 12:06:08 ip

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Rocoto variety

Aloittaja Jennakuu, joulukuu 12, 2015, 16:16:20 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

Jennakuu

I understand here in Finland it's best to start rocoto germination early but I have a few questions. If I understand correctly they need colder temperatures and less direct light compared to other varieties when they grow? And also less nitrogen? And should I pinch of the first buds when they first  appear or no? Sorry this is just a new one for me, thanks for any answers and help!
Cali pepper

Trioniska

joulukuu 12, 2015, 18:27:39 ip #1 Viimeisin muokkaus: joulukuu 12, 2015, 18:31:44 ip käyttäjältä Trioniska
Hi in here also ;)

Same conditions when they grow but when you want to get buds to appear you usually need changes in temperature. Buds might come off when the plant is not ready to carry pods but if pods stay too early stage you can pick them off (less work than with buds and might speed up growth) I think that pubet are better looking with many flowers even in early stage ;)

And this is only my humble opinion.
Aloitteleva kasvattelija jolla mopo "voi" lähteä käsistä
http://chilimuistio.blogspot.fi/
Kaudet vuodesta 2014

Jennakuu

Yes thanks! The English section of the forum looked pretty dead recently so I tried my luck with both and it obviously worked so thank you. Can't wait to see what happens with this plant. :)
Cali pepper

Aji Inferno

Rocotos generally differ from most other capsicums quite a lot when it comes to growing them. Many of the varieties come from Andean mountain areas (up to 3000m+ altitude) where climate is a bit strange. :) One thing they don't (mostly) like is excessive heat. They are also prone to burning their leaves in direct sunlight, especially when the plants are young. Some varieties aren't very self-compatible (i.e. they may need another plant in order to produce fruit).  Otherwise the normal ways of growing chili apply to these beauties too. :)

chipe

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Jennakuu - joulukuu 12, 2015, 20:12:23 ip
The English section of the forum looked pretty dead recently so I tried my luck with both and it obviously worked so thank you.

It probably looks dead only because very few ask anything here in English. If they did, they would very likely get some answers, as you did now :).

I believe active forum members here tend to use the functionality at the top that shows all the messages that have been written since their last visit, so it probably doesn't matter much in which section you ask something, it will be found in the same way.

Jennakuu

joulukuu 12, 2015, 20:56:27 ip #5 Viimeisin muokkaus: joulukuu 12, 2015, 21:04:13 ip käyttäjältä Jennakuu
I will grow a couple rocotos and see how they turn out in the end it's just a fun random experiment either way it turns out. Seeing the pretty flowers could be good enough hahah :) thanks for everyone taking the time to respond and help out. I have absolutely no idea how to respond properly on here or anything like highlight text from a previous messages or to which users I'm responding and so on. This is my first time ever on a forum. So please forgive  any flaws!
Cali pepper

Wolfman

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Jennakuu - joulukuu 12, 2015, 20:56:27 ip
I have absolutely no idea how to respond properly on here or anything like highlight text from a previous messages or to which users I'm responding and so on. This is my first time ever on a forum. So please forgive  any flaws!

If you use forum with Finnish menus:

In each message there is link "lainaus" on top right cornet of that message, lainaus means quote and when you click that message will appear in top of text window. When i write this message there are 2 tags on top, "quote author=Jennakuu link=topic=16768.msg322088#msg322088 date=1449946587" and "/quote" (both inside [ ] ) and quoted text is between those. You can allso edit quoted text like i delete part of your text in quote.

Forum works in English too (at least it shoud). Menu "profiili" -> "tunnuksen asetukset" you'l find "Kielipaketin valinta" and there are 2 choises, Finnish and English.

Trioniska

[quote author=Jennakuu link=topic=16768.msg322088#msg322088 date=1449946587]
text
[/quote]

Wolfie you ment to use this button "lisää koodia" marked as #  ::)

And Esikatselu is easy way to see how the message looks before you Publish it  ;)

Oh and that code part looks like

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Jennakuu - joulukuu 12, 2015, 20:56:27 ip
text
Kaudet vuodesta 2014

Wolfman

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Trioniska - joulukuu 13, 2015, 10:00:29 ap

:P Only 1 cup of coffee before writing that so i was half-sleeping  ;D

Trioniska

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Wolfman - joulukuu 13, 2015, 10:10:45 ap
Lainaus käyttäjältä: Trioniska - joulukuu 13, 2015, 10:00:29 ap

:P Only 1 cup of coffee before writing that so i was half-sleeping  ;D

Aaaaah that explains it.  :P
Kaudet vuodesta 2014

chipe

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Wolfman - joulukuu 13, 2015, 09:25:51 ap
Forum works in English too (at least it shoud). Menu "profiili" -> "tunnuksen asetukset" you'l find "Kielipaketin valinta" and there are 2 choises, Finnish and English.

There's a language selection on the top-right corner all the time and it even seems to remember that selection automatically when you are logged in as the same user.

Jennakuu

Wow thanks that language change helped a lot! I could of sworn I set it to English anyways in the beginning but now it's updated and much easier to understand thanks!  ;D
Cali pepper

Aji Inferno

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Jennakuu - joulukuu 13, 2015, 14:53:22 ip
Wow thanks that language change helped a lot! I could of sworn I set it to English anyways in the beginning but now it's updated and much easier to understand thanks!  ;D

Glad to see people chatting in English here! :) Most Finns speak and write English quite well, but many are kind of shy to do it. Please, let us know about your Rocoto mission's progress - and feel free to write many, many more messages here! ;)

chipe

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Aji Inferno - joulukuu 13, 2015, 23:34:32 ip
Glad to see people chatting in English here! :) Most Finns speak and write English quite well, but many are kind of shy to do it.

We would chat, but there's rarely anybody starting any conversations in this part of the forum. Should we do that between each other? Next time I want to ask something, I will ask it in English, and silently ignore anyone trying to answer me in Finnish :D.

Maybe we would get some international action also if there was more traffic in here :).

Chilifoorumi - Bringing international internal warmth and pain to your a..

Wolfman

Most Finns speak and write English quite well, but many are kind of shy to do it.

That's true, typical complaint from finnish tourist is "why hotel staff and restaurant staff don't speak finnish"  ??? And those tourists are able to speak english pretty well if they are forced to....

Writing english is nightmare... "how the he** that word was written"  ::) So sorry about errors  :P

Jennakuu

I will show my progress I guess, still waiting for them to arrive in the mail and will start right away. :) well hopefully in the future I won't have to rely so much on English as I'm starting my second year studying Finnish... I bet I'll need 5 more years tho lol  :o. My biggest problem is when I try to speak Finnish everyone switches to English right away  :-\
Cali pepper

Wolfman

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Jennakuu - joulukuu 14, 2015, 08:09:22 ap
My biggest problem is when I try to speak Finnish everyone switches to English right away  :-\

Do not "understand" english, and continue to use finnish  ;) I hope others will understand that you want to practice finnish. Or maybe they want to practice english ?

chipe

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Wolfman - joulukuu 14, 2015, 07:44:16 ap
Most Finns speak and write English quite well, but many are kind of shy to do it.

That's true, typical complaint from finnish tourist is "why hotel staff and restaurant staff don't speak finnish"  ??? And those tourists are able to speak english pretty well if they are forced to....

Writing english is nightmare... "how the he** that word was written"  ::) So sorry about errors  :P

Reading and writing in English is the easy part, but speaking and pronouncing is something that I just fail to do properly. I'm suspecting there's something so fundamentally different in the Finnish language that just tends to prevent people from learning to speak English fluently.

When you listen how people from different parts of the world speak in English, you can usually spot some typical accents, but those that have Finnish as their mother tongue seem to have something more than an accent. And that applies even to many of those who have lived abroad for ages and used English all the time. They just seem to continue speaking the so called rally English, as made famous by Finnish racing drivers, whose English just sounds horrid.

It just sounds as if they might have some medical issues in their jaws that prevent them from speaking properly. And that is certainly how I feel when I speak English. I can be very familiar with some word, and I could easily say if someone else says it properly or not, but when I'm trying to actually say it, I can immediately hear that what came out wasn't even close to what I intended to say. I might retry, and out comes another ugly duckling of a word. I know what it should sound like, but somehow my mouth fails to function.

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Jennakuu - joulukuu 14, 2015, 08:09:22 ap
well hopefully in the future I won't have to rely so much on English as I'm starting my second year studying Finnish... I bet I'll need 5 more years tho lol  :o.

I can imagine that all those crazy suffixes we have could be a bit of a nightmare for someone trying to learn this language. At the extreme end of the scale, those result in Finnish words like "epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydelläänsäkäänköhän". So good luck with that and all ;). The good news is that you will likely be understood quite well even if you just use words in their base forms. It sounds funny, but you will be understood :). And as for that monster of a word (officially the longest non-compound word), don't worry, I bet nobody has ever actually needed it :).

Aji Inferno

The younger generation (say, up to 30..35) seems to be quite good and even fluent in English here, too. At least those who use it daily with their friends, families, in their work, reading books, listening to and making music, social media, etc. Those who have no "foreign" friends and don't use it much or at all, however, have some serious trouble with English.

I myself wouldn't mind this whole forum being in English, but that's simply not realistic and wouldn't be fair for many of our chili heads. But I'd love to see this kind of discussion here in the future, too. After all, just as using Finnish with people is good practice for you, using English is the same for people around here. ;) 

If you wish to practice your Finnish with a very nice Xmas present to your Finnish friends (and to yourself), there's always the world's best (?) chili pepper book for you to buy and digest! ;)  Some very cool chili seeds come with it: http://fataliiseeds.net/search?query=chilikirja

That "Chilikirja" is a good example of this language challenge. We had to write it in Finnish despite the commercial demand existing mostly abroad. And, of course, we even wanted to write it in Finnish for our good friends and all the magnificent chiliheads in this country. But an edition in English, Spanish, etc. would have been very useful already by now for many, many people out there somewhere. ;) 

chipe

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Aji Inferno - joulukuu 14, 2015, 17:27:28 ip
I myself wouldn't mind this whole forum being in English, but that's simply not realistic and wouldn't be fair for many of our chili heads. But I'd love to see this kind of discussion here in the future, too. After all, just as using Finnish with people is good practice for you, using English is the same for people around here. ;) 

I also believe that the wealth of information we have here in this forum (regarding all sorts of chili varieties etc.) is among the best, if not the best in the world. So if this forum had more content in English it would no doubt benefit others out there, and obviously also bring new knowledge here.

So Jennakuu, don't you dare learn Finnish, we need these conversations here! ;)