maaliskuu 28, 2024, 10:22:29 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

A strange hybrid

Aloittaja varg, helmikuu 07, 2011, 15:31:03 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

varg

helmikuu 07, 2011, 15:31:03 ip Viimeisin muokkaus: huhtikuu 12, 2011, 12:18:08 ip käyttäjältä varg
Last year a friend of mine gave me seeds of Trinidad Seasoning (C.chinense). I sowed them, they germinated successfully. After a half of month I left only one plant (I'm growing peppers indoors & don't have enough space for all peppers I've got after germinating). Being newbie I didn't notice at first that the seedling had different leaves than a chile pepper seedling  that belongs to C.chinense used to have. The chile plant continued to grow and December 6 2010 it started to bloom. But the flowers were unusual for C.chinense varieties and looked like C.baccatum's flowers but without any yellow-greenish spot:

Despite flowers were full of pollen there were no pods at all. Then I decided to stress the plant (as far as I know some shocked plants "think" they're going to die and begin trying to leave their offspring  as soon as possible). So I cut the top of the plant and put it in vermiculite for rooting. In 20 days the graft had a lot of roots, after a while it flowered and gave some pods (despite the chlorosis of leaves).

Now the biggest one looks like this:

Very strange hybrid isn't it?  :blink:  :)
Which specie could be involved in forming of this hybrid? The hybrid has 1 or 2 flowers per node. The flower is erect and white but has no yellow-greenish spot inside but they have yellow spots outside:

jeQQ

That looks just like a pure starfish.. How is the taste?

varg

Lainaus käyttäjältä: jeQQ - helmikuu 09, 2011, 13:09:37 ip
That looks just like a pure starfish.. How is the taste?

Maybe the pod looks like a Starfish pod, but the flower of my plant doesn't look like Starfish's flower

Lainaus käyttäjältä: jeQQ - helmikuu 09, 2011, 13:09:37 ip
How is the taste?

I don't know the pod's still unripe...  ;)

jeQQ

The flowers can vary under different light circumstances. :)

varg

Suggest, you're right. A couple of days ago I laid the plant nearer to a HPS lamp. Yesterday 2 new flowers began opening and I noticed that they had some weak yellow-greenish spots where all baccatums have. Not such precise as at the second photo but there are some spots...

jeQQ

Hmm, lets wait until you get to taste it! :)

varg

waiting is our profession...  ;) :)

varg

The first pod has begun to mature...

Chilinferno

honestly, this stranger looks f*** awesome  :D

are you sure that this is a cross between baccatum & sp.  ???

try to isolate seeds  :P

keep us updated

varg

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Chilinferno - maaliskuu 28, 2011, 21:11:53 ip
honestly, this stranger looks f*** awesome  :D
are you sure that this is a cross between baccatum & sp.  ???

It's only my suggestion.  ;)
Lainaus käyttäjältä: Chilinferno - maaliskuu 28, 2011, 21:11:53 ip
try to isolate seeds  :P
keep us updated

OK, I'll try.  :)
Yesterday the pod became orange-red:

varg

huhtikuu 12, 2011, 12:15:51 ip #10 Viimeisin muokkaus: huhtikuu 12, 2011, 12:20:34 ip käyttäjältä varg

Time to carry a taste test.  ;)
The pod was very, very crunchy, juicy, sweetish at first, then a little sour in the end. And NO HEAT AT ALL!!!
So I think man can make conclusion that it is not a genuine Starfish or Mini Bonnet.
Look at the next photo:

You can see a weak throat of the calyx. The deep throat of the calyx is an important feature of the species C. chinense. So can man suggest that my strange chile pepper variety is a C.baccatum x C.chinense hybrid?

Chilinferno

so no heat at all, haa?

and i thought this radioactive mutant would be the killer  >:(

;D

:P

varg

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Chilinferno - huhtikuu 12, 2011, 22:06:38 ip
so no heat at all, haa?

and i thought this radioactive mutant would be the killer  >:(

;D

Ja, no heat at all! 0 of 10!  ;)

AlexChupetinho

Hi there,

your plant and pods have clear characteristics of starfish, as said. my starfish pods look like this:

Even the taste you described is quite similar to the taste of my starfishes!
"very crunchy, juicy, sweetish at first, then a little sour in the end"
exactly! and a fruity aroma. the heat is about 6-7.

Your plant is perhaps a hybridation between starfish and some kind of numex suave (habaneros without heat!)

???

varg

C.baccatum x C.chinense hybrid?  ;) I think you're right!  :)

AlexChupetinho

finally, who knows?  ;D starfish ist quite sure. but it can be starfish with anything!!!   :-\

t8m

If the seed is really from a Trinidad Seasoning plant that would explain the no-heat and it could be a cross with Starfish. You just had a good luck to get a baccatum x chinense cross that was able to germinate. I'm really curious if you are able to make a stable variety from it with some interesting properties.

varg

The plant of this strange hybrid after beeing moved outdoors gave pods of 2 types (no one looks like the first pod when the plant grew indoors: look at photoes #3,4 & 5)

The 2nd & the 3rd pods on the photo #1 & 2 look like pods of Bishops hat (PI 497974), (or Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Peri Peri, Ubatuba Cambuci, Aji Flor, Orchid, Christmas Bell and Bishops Crown etc).
But 1st & 4th ones IMHO has no baccatum analogues (maybe, I'm wrong).
All the pods are moderately hot (3-4 points of 10).
The plant is creeping and its flowers look now like original baccatum flowers.

For comparison the photo of the first pod when the plant grew indoors.

Chilinferno

ahh, Varg is back  :D

what´s up?

well, it seems that this hybrid isnt stable yet...

i´ll do some selections in the future. i personally prefer the pods of the first grow

MegaRatt44

Oh! That's a very strange hybrid indeed!  :o

Is it even a chili anymore because it doesn't have heat at all?  :D It looks like a mix of tomato and starfish...
Kauden 2012 päiväkirja alotteilla:
http://chilifoorumi.fi/index.php?topic=11388.0