huhtikuu 26, 2024, 00:11:39 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Testing new WEX-C150W led growlight

Aloittaja Bugger, huhtikuu 18, 2011, 23:19:32 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

Bugger

My WEX-P150 broke down, after about years use. This is second time this happened with this model, so maybe there is some problems with the quality of the drivers? WEX-C150 and the WEX-Y90 have been working  without problems, so maybe it´s just this model that has problems? Luckily Welthink has been very helpfull replacing the lights for warranty, so my plants haven´t been left to complete darkness.

When I contacted them about the light, I was told that they didn´t have these at stock. I was asked if I would like to test the new WEX-C150W light, with a new spectrum. This is a passively cooled light, totally silent and supposed to be waterproof. As the noise of the cooling fans is the only downside to these older models, the answer was easy!

The new spectrum they made for my light has some 730nm wavelength added. It´s expected to be even better for flowering and fruiting than the  regular ones.

Here is the new light, massive aluminum cooler..

I got the light straight from China, it took couple of weeks to get it thru the customs. They had hard time understanding it was a replacement for warranty. I´ve been waiting police to raid my home ever since.. ;)

I replaced the WEX-C150 on my ebb with this new light, and in just three days all the plants were flowering. Unfortunately problems didn´t stop there, after the three days, half of the leds were down.. I suspected another driver malfunction, and the Welthink representative in Amsterdam send me a new driver. I was told that this is the first time one of these new models has broken. The driver was easy to change, basically just bolt on part, but that didn´t help. As I had their approval for opening the light, I measured the connections and leds, and one led had been busted. I was instructed to jump wire the broken one, and now finally the light is ready to use again.

Whilst the new light was under repair, I put the WEX-C150 back on the ebb, and surprisingly Turbo pube and Trinidad Scorpion dropped all their flowers in a couple of days, and Aji benito dropped most of hers. This was weird, because I´ve had good yields with this light before. Nothing else was changed, just the light.

After that, I changed the nutrient solution for flowering, about two weeks ago, but nothing significant has happened. Yesturday I finally switched the lights again, it will be interesting to see what happens..

Here is the old setup with WEX-C150.

And the new WEX-C150W.

Aji Benito.

Turbo pube.

Trinidad Scorpion.

Here are some buckthorn cuttings from Rauma. Only catch from that fishing trip.. Interesting to see, if they root on the fogger.

Plants will be on the ebb until the summer, so there is a little over months time to see how this 730nm light affects the plants. I´ll try to update this thread as something happens, and I´m open to suggestions and questions also!

Bugger

Just after a couple of days after putting it on, another led died on the light. It´s same weird model led, as the one broken before. I don´t know what they really are, they don´t appear to provide much light, they look more like glowing, at least to the human eye. Maybe they should be all replaced with better ones? I´ll be wiser on that hopefully, after I talk with the Welthink folks.

So the experiment faces yet another setback... :( This is quite frustrating..

The Trinidad Scorpion opened a couple of flower on the second day, but dropped them soon after the light loosed half of it´s power. Buckthorn cuttings are opening leaves, some of them have white spots on the stem, looks like they start rooting. Other plants haven´t reacted in any noticeable way.

I´ll keep this light on the plants at least for a while still, I lowered it some 20cm, to compensate the loss of power. Hopefully I´ll be able to fix it soon, thumbs up!  ::)

Bugger

Sorry that I haven´t updated this sooner, but I´ve been really busy. Since there hasn´t really been anything to update, this has been left waiting.

The light remains half working, there has been another light giving more light to the plants, so the results are useless.
I haven´t received any new instructions from  Wellthink, nor new leds for the light, so this test has officially failed.

The light seemed really promising. I have a feeling that the new wavelength does stimulate flowering, but the quality of the leds is somewhat questionable. With such a high prize, one would expect these to work.

But this is an experimental model with special leds, and to my understanding these leds are not used in the lights that are sold to public. Overall I still like this light, it´s very robust design because of the alunium cooler, and water resistant. That is always a good when dealing with water, as in hydroponic systems. It looks like one could drop it to the reservoir, and nothing will break, but I wont recommend it! The fact that it´s also totally silent, is also a huge bonus.

I´ll be happy to test more lights, but not during the summer. My plants are all moving outside in a few days, to enjoy the big HID on  the sky! But if you are still serious about testing in the fall, pm me and we will see. Though my opinion is that the best man for the job would be mr. Fatalii himself!

I first posted this to the wrong thread, so I moved it here where it belongs. Sry.