maaliskuu 29, 2024, 08:59:48 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

Where do you get your peat moss in Finland?

Aloittaja horsebones, huhtikuu 18, 2015, 16:37:36 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

horsebones

huhtikuu 18, 2015, 16:37:36 ip Viimeisin muokkaus: huhtikuu 18, 2015, 16:39:36 ip käyttäjältä horsebones
Hi, I need to amend my soil. I've been looking for some peat moss in a few places but haven't been able to find anything. Are there some generic department stores that you know of that sell the stuff?

I'll try in Finnish now...
Minä etsin rahkasammal. Missa helvetti voisinko löydä sen? ;D

Kiiti.
Currently growing...
Habanero | Inca Red Drop | Rocoto

Tu0m0

How about pet stores? I think that some reptiles and other animals need that for bedding.
~Jos mä vaan tän enää istutan~

Jame

I have no idea where to buy it. But if I were in your shoes I'd go to the swamp because it grows there.
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again - this time more intelligently.

Helzy

I don't know if peat moss is in Finnish rahkasammal because orchid people talk about sphagnum moss (not sure about the spelling) and it looks like rahkasammal.  8)
"Jukra, että minustakin tuli vihreäpeukalo." -Pikku Myy
Instagramissa @helzyy

ottulo

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Helzy - huhtikuu 18, 2015, 20:18:11 ip
I don't know if peat moss is in Finnish rahkasammal because orchid people talk about sphagnum moss (not sure about the spelling) and it looks like rahkasammal.  8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphagnum

"Sphagnum is a genus of approximately 120 species of mosses, commonly known as peat moss."

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahkasammalet

"Rahkasammalet (Sphagnum) on laajahko sammalten suku."

ottulo

Making a double post to make sure the message reaches you: you can find peat moss sold in Finland under the name "turve". The Finnish name may sound (to Finns) like it's something else, but it is actually just peat moss.

Note that there are different options, some with fertilizers/potassium, others with nothing added. You can find most of them at many hypermarkets and hardware stores, and probably all gardening stores have at least small packages. If you only need a bit for potted plants, there are 50l sacks, if you need more you may want to look at the 320l sacks. I am not sure if all options are available in all sizes, so it's best to go take a look.

horsebones

Thanks, I'll look out for turve then. Be it in the hypermarkets, the pet stores, or the swamp. I think I have to ask my father in law about the last one. ;D
Currently growing...
Habanero | Inca Red Drop | Rocoto

Jame

In Finlans around 1/3 of the land area is categorized as swamp. There are different types of swamp of which some are more closer to forest in my opinion but still there  is 5,1 million hectars of "geological swamp" according to Wikipedia. So finding peat moss shouldn't be mission impossible in Finland  ;)

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suo

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again - this time more intelligently.

Huru-ukko

ottulo

Lainaus käyttäjältä: ottulo - huhtikuu 18, 2015, 22:34:32 ip
Note that there are different options, some with fertilizers/potassium, others with nothing added.

And here, of course, I meant lime and not potassium, even though they might have potassium with other fertilizers.

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Huru-ukko - huhtikuu 19, 2015, 09:55:10 ap
Natural Peat without lime or fertilizer ?...