Fluorescent tubes: "purple" vs. full spectrum

Aloittaja wizzard, joulukuu 31, 2010, 13:54:02 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

wizzard

As the title says, how do the "for plant specific tubes (aka purple)" perform compared to the full spectrum ones (for both growing and flowering stage)?

I'm planing a DIY set up. I already have the electronics for 2 2x18W lamps, just lacking a good reflector for them (planing to put them together, in one reflector) but I'm still kinda undecided which tubes to get. To be specific, I'm looking at Sylvania GroLux tubes (for aquariums and plants).
I've also read on net that some people prefer to combine such tubes with full spectrum ones ... so, my main question is: which would be a better choice?

4x GroLux  or  2x GroLux+2x full spectrum (4000K or 6000K)  or  4x full spectrum

I will use this set up as an additional light source, mostly in the early growing stage of chilis and/or for my future bonchis.

InkRose

From what I've read on the Finnish side of the forum, people seem to favour full spectrum ones. Dunno if anyone's used them long enough to see if they make a difference for the crop or long-term growth. I haven't used them myself, and am only growing chiles for the first time at the moment, so my words are best taken with a pinch of salt.

If you're growing in your living room or somewhere else where you or your family spend time, the Grolux tubes probably won't be very nice because of the colour of the light, and I'd certainly recommend a mixed tube configuration for those conditions. Personnally, I'd probably go for a 1+3 if I were to include the Grolux, but that's just a gut feeling.

For my eyes, 4000k is a much friendlier hue than 6000k, and I've got one Osram Dulux 840 and one 827 (the numbers mean a product 'grade', 8 being the second best in terms of colour reproduction and "spectral fidelity" while the 40 and 27 correspond to colour temperatures of 4000K and 2700K respectively) in my 2x18W light. Not sure if the 827 is really making any difference, but I thought I'd try to balance the spectra of the tubes a tiny bit. Would probably be more worth it if paired with a 6000K or 6500K tube.

wizzard

1+3 sounds good too :)

I googled a bit more and found this site that holds some home made fl/cfl spectrographs.

according to this one (20W Sylvania "Gro-Lux" fluoro tube)
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/seventh/gro-lux.gif
I see the lamp is more suited for overall growing stage, but clearly lacks the red color for flowering.