maaliskuu 29, 2024, 07:14:33 ap

Uutiset:

Iloista kasvatuskautta !!

A couple of C.chinense hybrids

Aloittaja varg, joulukuu 30, 2011, 09:26:04 ap

« edellinen - seuraava »

varg

In the first half of this year I crosspollinated some C.chinense plants.
In the first experiment Pimenta Biquinho de Bico was a mother plant

and father plant was Pink Habanero.

In the second experiment Pimenta Biquinho de Bico was a father plant and Rocotillo (C.chinense) was a mother plant.

On the 3d October first seeds of the both hybrids germinated.
After a month they looked so:

After 40 days from germinating Pimenta Biquinho de Bico X Pink Habanero plant looked so:

43 days passed & man could see a first rudiment of a bud at that plant:

On the 22d November 4 bud rudiments appeared on the Rocotillo X Pimenta_Biquinho de Bico plant:

December 2 Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho de Bico's 1st flower opening began:

At the same time Pimenta Biquinho de Bico X Pink Habanero first buds looked so:

On the 9th December Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho de Bico's first fruit forming began:

Three days later the first pod began forming at Pimenta Biquinho de Bico X Pink Habanero:

Nowadays the pods of my hybrids look so:
-- Pimenta Biquinho X Pink Habanero

-Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho de Bico

P.S. Both hybrid plants have been growing indoor under HPS 250W lamp.

Mooms

Very nice!

Both crosses seemed to take characteristics from the shape of Biquinho despite the fact that Pink Habanero and Rocotillo look so different otherwise.
Interesting to see how much heat will the Biquinho x Pink habanero have.

varg

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Mooms - joulukuu 30, 2011, 13:19:29 ip
Very nice!

Both crosses seemed to take characteristics from the shape of Biquinho despite the fact that Pink Habanero and Rocotillo look so different otherwise.
Interesting to see how much heat will the Biquinho x Pink habanero have.

Hope the both hybrids inherited Pimenta Biquinho's rapid maturation & I'll know their fruit heat level in a couple of weeks.

varg

The first pod of the Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho hybrid has begun changing its colour. Now it's orange:

varg

The first ripe fruit at one of my hybrids:

It took it 100 days to become ripe. Not bad for C. chinense pepper, isn't it?

varg

The first pod of the Pimenta Biquinho X Pink Habanero hybrid has begun changing its colour.

On the eve of a taste test:

varg

Yesterday was a taste test day. There were 7 fruits of the Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho hybrid. Some fruits were red i.e. fully ripe & some fruits were orange.

All of them were crunchy & juicy. The red pods had quite strong chinense aroma. It was something like apricot flavour too. The heat level was very low (0,5-1 of 10).

The orange pods had less chinense flavour than the red ones.

varg

Another one bust to dust taste test. 

I took first 4 pods of Pimenta Biquinho X Pink Habanero hybrid, the fruits were ripe or half ripe.

These hybrid pods are little hotter than Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho ones. Moderate chinense aroma. Crunchy, quite juicy but not so juicy like Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho. IMHO, it tastes similar to his "father", i.e. Pink Habanero.

In general, a decent hybrid for those who like сhinense fruits with low heat level.

Mooms

Are you going to continue growing F2s from these? If Im not mistaken the next generation might get more traits from the biquinho heat wise?

cornell

Really nice stuff!!! Would like to test them if you are willing to share you project ; ))

Could you still explain to me why you choose to make this cross? Why you picked up these varieties as parents? Has the taste improved?
¨käynks mä usein täällä?¨

varg

tammikuu 27, 2012, 11:56:06 ap #10 Viimeisin muokkaus: tammikuu 27, 2012, 12:03:05 ip käyttäjältä varg
Lainaus käyttäjältä: Mooms - tammikuu 26, 2012, 10:08:49 ap
Are you going to continue growing F2s from these?

I'd like to do it but I don't have much space...  :(
Maybe I'll grow a couple of plants but it's too little to get a stable cultivar isn't it (F2-F3-F4...FN)?

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Mooms - tammikuu 26, 2012, 10:08:49 ap
If Im not mistaken the next generation might get more traits from the biquinho heat wise?

Don't think so 'cause I used a low heat (0-1 of 10) Pimenta Biquinho (from Brasil). There are two cultivar with name Biquinho. One is very hot and another one (i.e. mine) has very low heat level (or no heat at all).

varg

tammikuu 27, 2012, 12:21:12 ip #11 Viimeisin muokkaus: tammikuu 28, 2012, 20:22:10 ip käyttäjältä varg
Lainaus käyttäjältä: cornell - tammikuu 26, 2012, 10:44:59 ap
Really nice stuff!!! Would like to test them if you are willing to share you project ; )) ...

Give me your post address and I'll send you some F2 seeds of the both hybrids.

Could you still explain to me why you choose to make this cross? Why you picked up these varieties as parents?

Yes, I could do it. I crossed namely these cultivars because they had bloomed simultaneously. The other reason is I'd like to get a crunchy juicy chinense cultivar with low heat level and strong chinense aroma.

Has the taste improved?

IMHO, Rocobi (I called so Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho hybrid) is more juicy and seems to have more chinense aroma than it's parents.
As for the second hybrid (don't khow yet how to call it, maybe Bipi Hab?  ;D) I can't say that its taste has been improved.

I think that outdoor growing will improve both hybrids taste and aroma. Maybe they'll be more hotter too (but I don't want it  ;)). ???

cornell

Hi Varg,

I'm a big fan of mild chinenses so it would be great to have some of your F2s growing in my greenhouse. I'll send you a pm.

You know that all the variation from you crossing will reveal itself in F2 generation, so grow as many f2 individuals as possible to find the best mach or the freekiest recombinant...

¨käynks mä usein täällä?¨

exa

I too am a big fan of mild chili varieties in general. I'll send you a pm with further discussion.

Not only am I interested in both of the hybrids but the original varieties too.

Klikkaa kuvaa ja lue kasvatuksistani!

varg

Some photos of Pimenta Biquinho X Pink Habanero and Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho F1 hybrids:

Aku

A couple of Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho F2 seedlings. I wonder if they will produce some pods this year...

varg

Lainaus käyttäjältä: ABK - huhtikuu 23, 2012, 22:44:14 ip
A couple of Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho F2 seedlings. I wonder if they will produce some pods this year...

Sure they'll do it! ;)

Aku

heinäkuu 14, 2012, 17:34:41 ip #17 Viimeisin muokkaus: heinäkuu 14, 2012, 17:37:54 ip käyttäjältä ABK
Same Rocobi plants today :D There are some buds on the top of those plants.

Aku

Sorry for stealing your thread again, Varg.  ;D Rocobi F2 started producing some pods.

varg

Nice work, ABK!
How is your Rocobi F2 plant? Has any pod of it begun changing its colour?