Everithing there is to know about overwintering chilies

Aloittaja siprim, lokakuu 08, 2012, 19:22:29 ip

« edellinen - seuraava »

siprim

lokakuu 08, 2012, 19:22:29 ip Viimeisin muokkaus: lokakuu 08, 2012, 19:24:34 ip käyttäjältä siprim
Hello.

I want to know everithing there is to know about overwintering chilies.Write your experiences,put links,articles etc.Thank you :)
So if you just put them inside near a window they should be fine or is there much more to that?

cix

Hi,

I don't know were You live and how much sun You get in the winter.  But here in Finland it's hard to overwinter chilies without some extra lights. And if You have big plants, it's even harder. I usually start from scratch every year. But sometimes I cut back almost the whole plant and placed a lamp really close. Then the plant starts to produce new leaves fast. This will also reduce the risk of pest hidden in the foliage.
It's important to not over-water the plants in the winter. Let the soil dry out before you give more water. And check with a stick if the soil is moist.

I don't know if this help but good luck anyway. :) 

ChiliChillailija

In there, in north, you might have some growinglights.
In autumn if you've big and large chiles, with kilos of pods, pick pods.
Then you could cut the plant or plants down. You could cut some roots too, if you want.
Change soil.
Then put your plant or plants down of your growinglights and hope the best.   :D

I'm sorry for my english, but I hope you understand... :)
PÄIVÄKIRJANI 2013
http://chilifoorumi.fi/index.php?topic=11915.

CHILIBLOGINI Uusin blogikirjoitukseni on:
http://chillailijanchilit.blogspot.fi/2013/07/satoa-tulee.html

"jokainen meistä on joskus aloittelija, toiset loppuelämän" ~Hessi

ElliOop

Hi! I'm going to address this question for that rare handful who wish to give their plants a natural winter break. :)

When overwintering your plants it is key to realize they know it's winter, too - so unless you own a closed-off and perfectly stable greenhouse and can therefore cheat your plants into thinking it's still time to grow, they are going to notice. :)

They'll use up far less water, and since they do not need to photosynthesize so aggressively in order to produce crops, they will not need as many leaves - in fact, a large foliage is counter-productive to the winter cycle, so you should gradually dock large leaves before the plant attempts the same by wilting all its leaves at once and killing itself.

The roots should be examined occasionally so as to make sure no rot occurs. Plants in their winter cycle get by on very little water, and don't benefit from having constant access to water as the moisture gets trapped in the soil without the plant actively sucking up the water - this leads to root rot.  I've sometimes wintered plants in big rectangular window boxes that I've irrigated first with crockery shards or pebbles, and then planted everything in cactus soil mix - you might even throw in some perlite while you're at it.

They won't need as aggressive air conditioning, either, unless you do attempt to keep them ss though it was growing season and use light akd heat to simulate that. Air conditioning can dry out a wintering plant as they don't drink as much, so be careful with even your domestic A/C. :)